This book is for any therapist looking to take the next step in their career. Roger Martin is the past Dean at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto, he has developed a system of thinking gives leaders the tools to create new paradigms in their chosen field.
Martin talks about developing a mastery in your field then combining that mastery with originality to formulate new solutions and creating new paradigms using the following guidelines:
- Existing models ≠ reality
- Leveraging opposing models
- Better models exist
- I can find a better model
- I wade into complexity
- I give myself time to create
Developing a Personal Knowledge System
Roger outlines another way to guide your integrative thinking is to develop your personal knowledge system with these questions.
- Who am I in the world and what am I trying to accomplish?
- With what tools and models do I organize my thinking and understand the world?
- With what experiences can I build my repertoire of sensitivities and skills?