The RMT Education Project is an initiative that is working to promote the benefits of massage therapy to an international audience. In this post I have to put together an open educational resource page for massage therapy students.
I invite you to explore some of these resources then take the information and share it with your personal learning network to promote the benefits of massage therapy.
• Bassett Collection of Stereoscopic Images of Human Anatomy - Stanford Libraries
• Dream Anatomy - US National Library of Medicine
• Historical Anatomies on the web - US National Library of Medicine
• Wiki Images - Scientific Animations
• Open Osmosis - an initiative committed to developing & disseminating health education resources
The Conversation - A selection of popular articles from The Conversation that upend conventional wisdom about rehabilitation and pain.
• Pain really is in the mind, but not in the way you think - Lorimer Moseley
• What is pain and what is happening when we feel it? - Lorimer Moseley
• Fixing pain management could help us solve the opioid crisis - Meredith Craigie
• What is brain plasticity and why is it so important? - Duncan Banks
• Exercise more in 2018 – it really is good for your heart - Scott Lear
• How to avoid, recognize and treat concussion in sports - Kathryn Schneider
• What is traumatic brain injury? - Travis Wearne
• What’s happening when our joints crack and is it bad? - Andrew Lavender
• Thinking of taking opioids for low back pain? - Christine Lin
• Touch in infancy is important for healthy brain development - Harriet Dempsey-Jones
• Rub on pain products - Andrew Moore
• How to fix Canada’s opioid crisis - Andrea Furlan
• Nerves of endearment: how a gentle touch affects emotions - Marcello Costa
• Why do my muscles ache the day after exercise? - Ken Nosaka
• Emergency doctors are using acupuncture to treat pain - Marc Cohen
• The science of pain - Benjamin Ansell
Here is a selection of educational videos that students can use to supplement in class lessons.
• Why you should define your fears instead of your goals | Tim Ferriss
• How great leaders inspire action | Simon Sinek
• Why good leaders make you feel safe | Simon Sinek
• Inside the mind of a master procrastinator | Tim Urban
• How to make stress your friend | Kelly McGonigal
• The mystery of chronic pain | Elliot Krane
• A doctor's touch | Abraham Verghese
• Why do we sleep? | Russell Foster
• Grit: The power of passion and perseverance | Angela Lee Duckworth
• The brain-changing benefits of exercise | Wendy Suzuki
• How to make stress your friend | Kelly McGonigal
TED-Ed - TED-Ed’s mission is to spark and celebrate the ideas of students around the world.
• The benefits of a good night's sleep - Shai Marcu
• What happens when you have a concussion? - Clifford Robbins
• Oxygen’s surprisingly complex journey through your body - Enda Butler
• What makes muscles grow? - Jeffrey Siegel
• How blood pressure works - Wilfred Manzano
• How to grow a bone - Nina Tandon
• How your muscular system works - Emma Bryce
• How does the immune system work? - Emma Bryce
• How your digestive system works - Emma Bryce
• How do your kidneys work? - Emma Bryce
• The power of the placebo effect - Emma Bryce
• Why do your knuckles pop? - Eleanor Nelsen
• How does your brain respond to pain? - Karen D. Davis
• How do scars form? - Sarthak Sinha
• How do nerves work? - Elliot Krane
• The mystery of chronic pain - Elliot Krane
Open Michigan - Educational videos on musculoskeletal assessments from the University of Michigan
• Exam of the Elbow
• Exam of the Hand and Wrist
• Exam of the Hip
• Exam of the Knee
• Exam of the Foot and Ankle
• The Learning Portal - a one-stop-shop for students and faculty seeking information on research assistance, writing and study skills, and OERs.
• The International Journal of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork - An open access peer-reviewed journal that publishes research on massage therapy.
Open Access Research Articles
A list of ten open access research papers that are of use for massage therapy students
Allen, L. (2016). Case Study: The Use of Massage Therapy to Relieve Chronic Low-Back Pain. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork.
Ardern, C.L., Ekås, G.R., ... Engebretsen, L. (2018). 2018 International Olympic Committee consensus statement on prevention, diagnosis and management of paediatric anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries. Br J Sports Med.
Kania-Richmond, A., Reece, B.F., Suter, E., Verhoef, M.J. (2015). The professional role of massage therapists in patient care in Canadian urban hospitals--a mixed methods study. BMC Complement Altern Med.
Kennedy, A.B., Patil, N., Trilk, J.L. (2018). ‘Recover quicker, train harder, and increase flexibility’: massage therapy for elite paracyclists, a mixedmethods study. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine.
Kennedy, A.B., Munk, N. (2017). Experienced Practitioners' Beliefs Utilized to Create a Successful Massage Therapist Conceptual Model: a Qualitative Investigation. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork.
Lewis, P.A., & Cunningham, J.E. (2016). Dynamic Angular Petrissage as Treatment for Axillary Web Syndrome Occurring after Surgery for Breast Cancer: A Case Report. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork.
Nunes, G.S., Bender, P.U., ... Wageck, B. (2016). Massage therapy decreases pain and perceived fatigue after long-distance Ironman triathlon: a randomised trial. J Physiother.
Pelletier, R., Higgins, J., & Bourbonnais, D. (2015). Is neuroplasticity in the central nervous system the missing link to our understanding of chronic musculoskeletal disorders? BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Rossettini, G., Carlino, E., Testa, M. (2018). Clinical relevance of contextual factors as triggers of placebo and nocebo effects in musculoskeletal pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
Vigotsky, A. D., & Bruhns, R. P. (2015). The Role of Descending Modulation in Manual Therapy and Its Analgesic Implications. Pain Research and Treatment.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.