If you are a fan of Malcolm Gladwell, I highly recommend the book Mindware. In this book, psychologist Richard Nisbett reframes common problems and demonstrates how many statistical concepts create solutions for real world problems, and this is all presented in a clear and accessible way. After reading the book, you will have new insights into a number of these concepts including, but not limited to:
• law of large numbers
• statistical regression
• cost-benefit analysis
• sunk-cost and opportunity cost
• causation and correlation
Correlation and Causation
Throughout the book there are a number of scientific and philosophical ideas that can easily be understood and applied to make better professional, business and personal decisions. One quote that really stayed with me is, "Just as correlation doesn't prove causation, absence of correlation fails to prove absence of causation". In the massage therapy world, lately I have been hearing that correlation does not equal causation, which is technically a correct statement, however in many cases the relationship is not random.
The RMT Education Project - 'Simplifying The Complex'
The RMT Education Project is an initiative that is working to promote the benefits of massage therapy to an international audience. If you would like to learn more about massage therapy, check out 'The Massage Therapy Literature Countdown'.
The Massage Therapy Literature Countdown
• 10 Articles All Massage Therapists Should Read
• 9 Open Access Articles All Massage Therapists Should Read
• 8 Researchers Who Are Changing Massage Therapy
• 7 Books For Massage Therapists
• 6 Blogs For Massage Therapists
• 5 Systematic Reviews of Massage Therapy
• 4 Articles About The Importance of Touch
• 3 Bones You May Not Have Heard About
• 2 Peer-reviewed Publications for Massage Therapists
• 1 Book That Will Change The Way You Think