In addition to the in person course, participants are provided with education resources that upend conventional wisdom about rehabilitation and pain.
• A Comprehensive Guide to the New Science of Treating Lower Back Pain - Julia Belluz
• Back pain: how to live with one of the world’s biggest health problems - Moya Sarner
• Starting Rehab Early Can Speed Recovery From Muscle Injuries - Alex Hutchinson
• The Social Power of Touch - Lydia Denworth
• Massage may aid muscle regrowth, even in an opposite limb - Colorado State University
• Where Pain Lives - Cathryn Jakobson Ramin
• To treat pain, study people in all their complexity - Beth Darnall
• Pleasant to the Touch - Sabrina Richards
A Synthesis of Noteworthy Finds
Courtney et al. (2017). Mechanisms of chronic pain - key considerations for appropriate physical therapy management. J Man Manip Ther.
Harte et al. (2018). The neurobiology of central sensitization. J Appl Behav Res.
Kennedy & Munk (2017). Experienced Practitioners' Beliefs Utilized to Create a Successful Massage Therapist Conceptual Model. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork.
Lewis & O'Sullivan (2018). Is it time to reframe how we care for people with non-traumatic musculoskeletal pain? Br J Sports Med.
Rossettini et al. (2018). Clinical relevance of contextual factors as triggers of placebo and nocebo effects in musculoskeletal pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
Schmid et al. (2009). Reliability of clinical tests to evaluate nerve function and mechanosensitivity of the upper limb peripheral nervous system. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Shah et al. (2015). Myofascial Trigger Points Then and Now. PM&R.
Van Hooren et al. (2018). Do We Need a Cool-Down After Exercise? Sports Med.
Zügel et al. (2018). Fascial tissue research in sports medicine: from molecules to tissue adaptation, injury and diagnostics. Br J Sports Med.
Concussion, Headache & Neck Pain
Ellis et al. (2016). Multi-Disciplinary Management of Athletes with Post-Concussion Syndrome. Front Neurol.
Fernández-de-Las-Peñas & Courtney (2014). Clinical reasoning for manual therapy management of tension type and cervicogenic headache. J Man Manip Ther.
Matuszak et al. (2016). A Practical Concussion Physical Examination Toolbox. Sports Health.
Morin et al. (2016). Cervical Spine Involvement in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Sports Medicine.
Back & Trunk
Isu et al. (2018). Superior and Middle Cluneal Nerve Entrapment as a Cause of Low Back Pain. Neurospine.
Oliveira et al. (2018). Clinical practice guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care. Eur Spine J.
Tousignant-Laflamme et al. (2017). Rehabilitation management of low back pain. J Pain Res.
Hip, Knee & Thigh
Martin et al. (2017). Nerve entrapment in the hip region. Int J Sports Phys Ther.
Ardern et al. (2018). 2018 International Olympic Committee consensus statement on prevention, diagnosis and management of paediatric anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries. Br J Sports Med.
Porr et al. (2013). Entrapment of the saphenous nerve at the adductor canal affecting the infrapatellar branch. J Can Chiropr Assoc.
Foot & Ankle
Vuurberg et al. (2018). Diagnosis, treatment and prevention of ankle sprains. Br J Sports Med.
• Acupuncture and Massage Therapy
• Acupuncture for knee pain
• Acupuncture for neck pain
• Acupuncture for headaches
• Acupuncture for low back pain
• Bioelectric Medicine
• Auricular Acupuncture
Standards of practice specific to Cupping and IASTM
Registrants are encouraged to review the CMTO Policy on the Application of Complementary Modalities (found here)
• CMTO Standard of Practice
• Standards for Specific Additional Massage Therapy Techniques
• Communication/Public Health Standard 7
• Communication/Public Health Standard 10
• Example of Informed Consent
• Infection Control Guidelines
The Massage Therapy Literature Countdown
• 10 Articles All Massage Therapists Should Read
• 9 Open Access Articles for Massage Therapists
• 8 Researchers Who Are Changing Massage Therapy
• 7 Books For Massage Therapists
• 6 Blogs For Massage Therapists
• 5 Systematic Reviews of Massage Therapy
• 4 Articles About The Importance of Touch
• 3 Bones You May Not Have Heard About
• 2 Peer-reviewed Publications for Massage Therapists
• 1 Book That Will Change The Way You Think