In addition to the in person course, participants are provided with education resources that upend conventional wisdom about rehabilitation and pain.
• A Comprehensive Guide to the New Science of Treating Lower Back Pain - Julia Belluz
• Back pain: how to live with one of the world’s biggest health problems - Moya Sarner
• Starting Rehab Early Can Speed Recovery From Muscle Injuries - Alex Hutchinson
• The Social Power of Touch - Lydia Denworth
• Massage may aid muscle regrowth, even in an opposite limb - Colorado State University
• Where Pain Lives - Cathryn Jakobson Ramin
• To treat pain, study people in all their complexity - Beth Darnall
• Pleasant to the Touch - Sabrina Richards
A SYNTHESIS OF NOTEWORTHY FINDS (OPEN ACCESS)
Kennedy & Munk (2017). Experienced Practitioners' Beliefs Utilized to Create a Successful Massage Therapist Conceptual Model: a Qualitative Investigation. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork.
Rossettini et al. (2018). Clinical relevance of contextual factors as triggers of placebo and nocebo effects in musculoskeletal pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord.
Schmid et al. (2009). Reliability of clinical tests to evaluate nerve function and mechanosensitivity of the upper limb peripheral nervous system. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Shah et al. (2015). Myofascial Trigger Points Then and Now: A Historical and Scientific Perspective. PM&R.
Van Hooren, B., Peake, J.M. (2018). Do We Need a Cool-Down After Exercise? A Narrative Review of the Psychophysiological Effects and the Effects on Performance, Injuries and the Long-Term Adaptive Response. Sports Med. (OPEN ACCESS)
Concussion, Headache & Neck Pain
Ellis et al. (2016). Multi-Disciplinary Management of Athletes with Post-Concussion Syndrome: An Evolving Pathophysiological Approach. Front Neurol.
Fernández-de-Las-Peñas & Courtney (2014). Clinical reasoning for manual therapy management of tension type and cervicogenic headache. J Man Manip Ther.
Matuszak et al. (2016). A Practical Concussion Physical Examination Toolbox. Sports Health.
Morin et al. (2016). Cervical Spine Involvement in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Review. Journal of Sports Medicine.
Back & Trunk
Oliveira et al. (2018). Clinical practice guidelines for the management of non-specific low back pain in primary care: an updated overview. Eur Spine J.
Tousignant-Laflamme et al. (2017). Rehabilitation management of low back pain - it's time to pull it all together! J Pain Res.
Hip, Knee & Thigh
Martin et al. (2017). Nerve entrapment in the hip region: current concepts review. Int J Sports Phys Ther.
Ardern et al. (2018). 2018 International Olympic Committee consensus statement on prevention, diagnosis and management of paediatric anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries. Br J Sports Med.
Porr et al. (2013). Entrapment of the saphenous nerve at the adductor canal affecting the infrapatellar branch - a report on two cases. J Can Chiropr Assoc.
Foot & Ankle
Vuurberg, G., Hoorntje, A., ... Kerkhoffs, G.M.M.J. (2018). Diagnosis, treatment and prevention of ankle sprains: update of an evidence-based clinical guideline. Br J Sports Med.
• Crooked. Cathryn Jakobson Ramin
• Cure. Jo Marchant.
• The Brain That Changes Itself. Norman Doidge.
• Touch. David Linden.
• Understanding Pain. Fernando Cervero.
• Explain Pain Supercharged. David Butler.
• Thieme Atlas of Anatomy, Michael Schuenke.
Standards of practice specific to Cupping and IASTM
Registrants are encouraged to review the CMTO Policy on the Application of Complementary Modalities (found here)
• CMTO Standard of Practice
• Standards for Specific Additional Massage Therapy Techniques
• Communication/Public Health Standard 7
• Communication/Public Health Standard 10
• Example of Informed Consent
• Infection Control Guidelines